Once home owners make the decision to sell their property, they intend to get the best prices and complete the process within a short period. This can only be possible if the property is in the best condition and looks very attractive. The following are top 5 tips to help value your property.
(1) Repair the external walls and apply a new coat of paint
When a buyer comes to view a potential property, the first thing that catches eyes is its exterior walls. Therefore, it is prudent to make sure that it is in great condition. If a house looks dilapidated or ugly, chances are that the client will make a decision not to buy immediately.
A flesh coat of paint will work magic. It will make the house look fresh, modern, and more appealing to visitors. Painting clears minor marks, dents, and small cracks that may turn down a potential client. Remember to keep the paint light in order to make the house look larger and leave the client figuring how to utilize the space.
Make sure to also examine the walls closely for signs of damage and fix them. If the house is made of weatherboard, some panels might be damaged and need replacement. For people selling brick homes, check for small gaps that develop between the blocks and fill them using mortar. These minor improvements will make your house look new without necessarily going for major repairs.
(2) Upgrade the doors and windows
When buyers set out looking for good houses, they are particularly emphatic on parts that make them and their properties secure. If the house door looks brittle and unattractive, many clients will start figuring how to replace them immediately after moving in. They will, therefore, use this as a strong point in their negotiation to have the price revised downwards.
Consider upgrading the door by replacing the main parts such as hinges and locking mechanism. Also, have it rebalanced and apply a new coat of paint to give it an attractive and stylish outlook. Every buyer will want to feel secure especially when sleeping at night and will prefer a door that is difficult to break in. Extend the same repairs and painting to windows in order to make the entire house look complete.
(3) Revamp the landscape and outdoor lighting
An attractive yard in any home brings a sense of style and satisfaction to the owner. In the same way, a well landscaped home will be used by a buyer to assess the amount of extra space available and sense of style that the new property will bring in his/her life. If the landscape is poorly kept, it is considered to be an indicator of neglect for the entire property.
• Clear all dead plants and replace them with green ones weeks before buyers can start viewing the house. If you have a shorter period, consider using potted plants.
• Trim the lawns to get an even natural outlook. A natural outlook is important because even the most stylish buyers want to have connection with nature.
• Cover any holes, clear debris, and align the paving. It is also prudent to clean paving rails for a sense of continuity from one point to another especially if the lawn is large.
(4) Upgrade the kitchen
One of the critical communal sections in a house is the kitchen. It is more valuable/sq meter and could make the difference especially when a buyer has several options. The buyer wants to get a functional unit that has lovely taps, bench-tops, and cupboards. Because the objective is making the house more valuable without incurring a lot of costs, consider the following;
• Reface the kitchen cabinetry to make it more appealing and workable
• De-clutter the kitchen surfaces and only leave one of two items. For example, only leave a bowl of fruits or a bottle of wine.
• Upgrade the plumbing fixtures. Though this may raise the cost significantly, you can use it as a strong point during negotiations.
Related article: Best Prices for Properties in UK
(5) Bathroom and toilet repairs
Just like the kitchen, home buyers are very particular about bathrooms and toilets. Though you do not need to go buying and installing the latest stylish tubs, and cabinetry, it is prudent to make sure that they are standard and working. Consider relooking at the faucets and replace them if they are damaged. Then, clean the exhausts, fans, and ensure to replace various chips in the bathtub so that they look as good as new. Finally, it is worth replacing the old lights with new energy efficient types.
To get the best from your house on sale, it is critical to ensure that everything looks attractive and is working perfectly. This will not only help you put a higher price for the house, but raise its attractiveness so that buyers can make up their minds faster. If you follow the outlined steps, you will find it easier to sell the house whether on your own or using an agent.